Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
User avatar
excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice
Posts: 6953
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:16 am
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by excossack » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 pm

....and in a skirt....
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

Neil Chowney
Administrator
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Whitchurch, Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Neil Chowney » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:48 pm

er... you appear to have lost someone on the walk........ deffo had seven when you started.....!
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2

User avatar
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:40 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Spent an alarming amount of money in a pet store. We're collecting a puppy tomorrow.

Imagine this is my last night of sanity for the next few months!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

User avatar
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:40 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:52 pm

German Shepherd Siberian Husky cross.

...I am truly doomed!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

User avatar
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:40 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Well home and save, despite the Saab trying to break down halfway home on the three hour drive. Methinks the alternator brushes are on their last legs as battering it with a screwdriver restored electrical power.

Frenetic indeed so far, though at 11 weeks not surprising!

Curled up on my lap in the back seat almost right away though and slept almost the whole way back...so no complaints there.

Will snap a couple of photos tomorrow if he stays still long enough! For now though, here's one from the journey back.

Image

Cute little blighter, I'll give him that.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

User avatar
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:40 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Deleted double post...
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

User avatar
excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice
Posts: 6953
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:16 am
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by excossack » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Used Windows 7 and Office 2010 for the first time in anger.!
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

User avatar
GvidoR
Bronze
Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by GvidoR » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Update on Bora's interior. (Click here for the 'before' pic)

Also changed oil and filter last week.

Image

User avatar
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:40 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:11 pm

...Think I may have managed to set off the smoke detector in the underground car park at Sainsbury's today with the Skoda. It was being a bit awkward so was using more choke than usual and it was...well...a bit on the smoky side.

Alarm went off abot ten seconds before I exited...if it was me, oops!

Also been on several walks with the dog. He is...at least so far...astonishing mellow. Bouncy and playful when playing as you would expect, but just curious about everything in the world. No interest shown in cats, rabbits or rats (we have two), cars or the postie. Only time he's barked has been when encountering another dog out and about who obviously had never had any sort of socialisation lessons, and whose owner had no idea how to control. Oh...and the bathing which he wasn't a fan of for the first few mins, but he settled down after that.

He's generally walking either just in front of me with a slack lead or to heel...if that continues I'll be very happy. Sit, come and no all seem to have sunk in pretty well as commands already. The combined intelligence of the two breeds probably has something to do with that.

Definitely has bonded with me though. Loves everyone, but always pays attention to where I'm going (but not whining or trying too much to follow) and has made a habit of falling asleep in my arms, lap or propped against me. The latter being quite regular as he is quite possibly the least co-ordinated creature on earth...especially the sideways slide off the dog bed or the sitting down and leaning too far back and falling over. Seems to spend more time upside-down than right way up.

Still continuing to be the cutest thing known to man. Just hope we can get the toilet training sorted soon so we don't need to have scheduled checks at 2:30 and 6:00 every day! He's getting better though it seems.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

User avatar
GvidoR
Bronze
Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by GvidoR » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:10 pm

It's an Acer Iconia W3 tablet.

In other news... finally managed to get Windows 3.11 on the old laptop I had. :D

Image

User avatar
excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice
Posts: 6953
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:16 am
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by excossack » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Went to the Heroes stages rally at Weeton Army Barracks and got talking to a chap who has a 1500cc Lada Riva challenge car.(in bits)
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

User avatar
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:40 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Windows 3.11 on a Pentium class machine, that should fly nicely.

Remember that I used to have 3.11 on a Cyrix 133, and it used to run beautifully - especially when I set up the script that had the ENTIRE OS and main applications buffer themselves into a ramdrive. That resulted in pretty much everything starting instantly once it was up and running.

Was still using that machine until I discovered the Amiga, which I was then using alongside my Archimedes until I ended up with Windows XP when I started uni.

...Still have an AmigaOS 3.x inspired skin on my windowmanager on both my desktop and laptop...Miss those days. Both Amiga OS and Windows 3.x were operating systems I really got along with.

Today I mostly cursed the fact that the fifth person who said they were going to send me a replacement for my dodgy radiator cap for the Skoda have failed to send it. Getting REALLY fed up with this now, having the thing boil and air lock itself every time the temperature makes it over 85C is getting really old.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

User avatar
GvidoR
Bronze
Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by GvidoR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 am

It does fly quite nicely indeed. The only way I can boot it right now is using an MS-DOS start up floppy disk. Not sure if there's a way around that.

It has 150 MHz processor and 32 MB of RAM. I've just put a few old games on it like Doom, Prince of Persia and a few other ones and they work perfect. I'm amazed at the battery life of the laptop too, it lasts around 3 hours. HP website even had Windows 3.11 drivers for it as well, I've only put on video and audio ones on so far though.

User avatar
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:40 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Contact:

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:01 pm

...there *is* a way to sort that boot issue and it's relatively simple as I recall. Cannot remember for the life of me what it is though as it was years I last had to deal with it.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

User avatar
GvidoR
Bronze
Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by GvidoR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks for that, now I can boot DOS from hard drive, but when I try to launch Windows, I get this error:

Missing HIMEM.SYS;
Make sure that the file is in your Windows directory and that its location is correctly specified in your CONFIG.SYS file.

EDIT: Fixed it, it just needed a "C:\DOS" folder.

Post Reply